As I mentioned before, I'm reading the biography of Hudson Taylor right now. For two reasons.... one because he shares my firstborn's name. But also because I know I need to read inspiring stories like this one of people who have lived a life of great value to the Kingdom. I'm hoping to learn from his life...
As I have also mentioned before, I have a one year old (tomorrow!) son and one that will be born in the next month or so (you heard right). And over the last couple of months, BJ and I have talked and prayed and talked and prayed about how we are going to raise, discipline, nurture and guide the oh-so-moldable little lives we've been entrusted. So with that in mind, the following portion of the aforementioned book really caught my attention....
[From Hudson Taylor's parents' perspective... on Hudson as a young child]
"For nothing in the life after, his parents realized, could ever compensate for the injury of an undisciplined childhood. But they knew where to turn for strength and grace. Were they not workers together with God in molding this little life for His holy service? If they lacked wisdom for so high a task, as indeed they did, would He not give it liberally according to His promise?"
I found this particularly encouraging. If nothing else a reminder of our ultimate goal: working with God to shape a life for His service. Secondly, that God offers grace and strength to parents who really don't have a clue about what they're doing or how to do it!
It went on to say, "Hudson's childhood, therefore, was filled not only with boyish games and pleasures but also with learning things that would be needed for his extraordinary life to come."
THAT'S IT! BJ and I both decided that's exactly what we want for our kiddos - a life full of fun and joy, but also with necessary teaching and training for a meaningful and purposeful life.
Lord, HELP us! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beautifully profound words about from Hudson Taylors parents!!!! We are praying that also as we pray for you and BJ in raising these precious boys. We pray we can be a small part of the process. Can't wait to see all God has for them. Love you all!
ReplyDelete